Pregnant & Parenting Teen (ELECT)
Through an initiative of the PA Department of Education, the Capital Area Intermediate Unit (CAIU) is responding to the specific needs of pregnant and parenting youth through its ELECT (Education Leading to Employment and Career Training) program. This free program is open to all pregnant and parenting teens who are enrolled in school or who are studying for their GED and live within Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, and northern York Counties.
If you’re pregnant
If you are a pregnant teen or will be a teen dad, things probably feel overwhelming right now.
You may need to talk to someone who can give you information about pregnancy, what to expect and where to go from here. CAIU offers free support services to pregnant teens. We will support you in whatever decision you make.
If you’re parenting
Parenting can be challenging and nobody is born knowing how to parent. If you are a new teen parent, you probably have many questions or are not sure where to turn for help. We can help you find the resources and parenting strategies you need to help you be the best parent you can be.
How we can help
- One-on-one attention with a personal case manager
- Nonjudgmental and confidential listening
- Pre-natal, parenting and child development information
- In-home visiting
- Personal goal setting
- Information and referrals to appropriate agencies
- Help with applying to assistance programs
- Help with educational and employment goals
- Information on birth control, sexuality and healthy decision-making
- Children’s clothing and equipment
- Child safety tips
- Finding childcare and funding to pay for care
- General advocacy and so much more
Call for a confidential conversation about our Pregnant and Parenting Teen Program (ELECT). We can discuss your options and resources so that you can make decisions that are best for you. Connect and meet other teens in similar situations. This program is at NO COST, and you can leave the program at any time.
ELECT Program Coordinator
717-732-8400 ext. 8383