Individuals interested in volunteering in a any Capital Area Intermediate Unit (CAIU) classroom, program, or event should contact the Supervisor responsible for that classroom/program/event. Please note, CAIU Supervisors have full discretion as to whom to allow to volunteer in their classrooms/programs.
All volunteers must complete the following documentation prior to volunteering:
- Complete the following approval form and confidentiality agreement:
Volunteer Info and Supervisor Approval FormVisitor Confidentiality Agreement
- A current (no more than five (5) years old), Act 34 (PA criminal history) clearance result. (Free if you make the request as a volunteer.)
- A current (no more than five (5) years old), original Act 151 (PA child abuse history) clearance result. (Free if you make the request as a volunteer.)
- If you have lived in Pennsylvania for the last 10 consecutive years, complete the Disclosure statement. Otherwise a current Act 114 FBI Federal Fingerprint Result Registration ID is required. (Use Service Code 1KG6S7.)
- PDE Form 6004
- TB Test Form (Cannot be more than 3 months old.)
Volunteer clearances can only be obtained for free every five (5) years and cannot be used for employment purposes with a PA school district. Volunteers that remain with the CAIU from year to year must complete the Volunteer Information Form and PDE Form 6004 annually. The CAIU reserves the right to request updated clearances and/or TB test at any time.
Volunteers are also responsible for reading and adhering to CAIU Board Policy 916, Volunteers.
When completed, documentation should be given to the Supervisor of the program in which you would like to volunteer. Please wait and submit all documentation to the Supervisor at one time. The HR team will then contact you to let you know your status.
As required by Act 126 of 2012, all volunteers must attend Mandated Reporter training. This training must then be obtained every five (5) years. Volunteers should work with the designated program supervisor to ensure this requirement is met.