APPLICATIONS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED FOR
THE NEXT GUEST TEACHER TRAINING SCHEDULED FOR
JULY 8-10, 2014
TO PREPARE SUBSTITUTES FOR THE 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR
CLICK Application FAQs FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
We appreciate your interest in pursuing a position as a guest (substitute) teacher and we hope that you will consider participating in our next training. Many of the school districts/vo-techs in Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, Northern York County and the Intermediate Unit participate in this program which has had great success over the past few years. We look forward to placing even more highly skilled individuals into classrooms in the coming school years.
The Guest Teacher Program is sponsored by the Capital Area Intermediate Unit. The program was created to find qualified personnel to work as "guest (substitute) teachers" to replace regular classroom teachers during training sessions and/or leave time.
Please print both documents. Review the letter. Complete the application and mail (along with the required $125 fee) to the address listed on the letter.
ADDITIONAL FORMS (not required to be sent with the application):
PA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION APPLICATION CHANGES:
Major changes have been made to the PA Department of Education Application process effective January 2012. Instructions on how to register and access the new TIMS (Teacher Information Management System) will be provided following the interview and acceptance into the program.
All applicants will be required to complete all of the clearances listed below. Keep in mind that ALL clearances must be less than one year old at the time of the training.
- Current Act 34 Clearance (PA Criminal Background Check - $10 Fee Required) Please be sure to click the "certification form" link and print the certificate
- Current Act 151 Clearance (Child Abuse Clearance - $10 Fee Required) - Original certificate must be presented. Allow 3-4 weeks for processing through the Department of Public Welfare.
- Current Act 114 Clearance (Federal Fingerprinting - $28.75 Fee Required) You Must obtain an FBI Clearance under the PA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION by clicking the link. NO OTHER FBI CLEARANCE WILL BE ACCEPTED. DO NOT click the "PA DEPT OF PUBLIC WELFARE" or "PA DEPT OF BANKING". These Clearances WILL NOT be accepted. You Must Present The Registration ID (which starts with PAE) To The CAIU. You may request an "UNOFFICIAL" PAPER COPY of the clearance if you wish.
The following School Districts participated in the 2013-2014 School Year (please note that this list may change for the 2014-2015 school year):
- Camp Hill
- Cumberland Valley
- Cumberland-Perry Vo Tech
- Dauphin Count Tech School
- Derry Township
- Lower Dauphin
- Millersburg Area
- Northern York
- South Middleton
- Upper Dauphin
- West Shore
Foreign Applicants will be required to supply the following in order to be approved as a "Guest" substitute teacher:
- Foreign Evaluation Report: completed by a private agency listed on the NACES website. This evaluation must show U.S. equivalent of all foreign degrees plus a course-by-course evaluation showing semester hour college credit and cumulative GPA;
- Affidavit: completed Affidavit of "Declaration of Intent to Become a Citizen" or completed "Declaration of United States Citizenship.";
- Supply/Provide: A photocopy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Visa (green card)
- PDE 338G Form (supplied at the time of interview)
- All of the above documents must be given to the HR Projects Coordinator at the time of the training. If you do not have the equivalent of a bachelor's degree in the United States and a Permanent Resident Visa, the evaluation will not proceed.
Special Note to Individuals who completed the training, but never substituted OR to those out of the program for more than 3 years:
Due to the constant changes in laws, rules, and regulations with regards to education, anyone who completed training, but never substituted or those out of the program for more than three (3) years, may be required to complete the Guest Teacher Training program again before approval can be given to work as a day-to-day substitute teacher.
Attention Registered Nurses:
Registered nurses interested in becoming school nurse substitutes must complete the Guest Teacher application, interview, and training and provide "official" sealed transcripts showing proof of bachelor's degree along with a copy of their RN license in order to be approved as a school nurse substitute.
- Friday, June 6, 2014 - Last day applications will be accepted for the 2014-2015 Guest Teacher Training to be held July 8-10, 2014